Saturday, August 11, 2007

Don't writers usually kiss my butt?

Ok, it's been a pretty hectic day. Let me get right to it before heading over to The Globe for a beverage and some dinner. Don't worry, Mal has already given me the "don't be Mike Price" speech. Dude, my destiny is to win the title, not end up coaching at UTEP.

First, the scrimmage was a real fun time. While dreaming of renaming the field, we got some serious work done. John Wilson Parker had a fantastic afternoon. Jimmy had a few nice catches. And no, I'm not passing out a new version of the depth chart.

Then I had this article sent to me... Cary Estes, a "freelance" (read: unemployed) writer form Birmingham, put some crap online at MSNBC.com. Doesn't he understand this will forever keep him out of the press box at Bryant-Saban-Denny-Stadium?

Anyway, last January he writes eloquently about my being an SOB - true dat, I really can't argue with that notion. I'm definitely a son-of-a-bitch. Let me quote the young Estes from that article: "Enter Saban. The issue here is not with Saban’s record. He went 48-16 during five seasons at LSU, capturing two SEC crowns and the 2003 BCS national championship. Plus, he managed to beat Auburn twice." Not bad stuff, definitely butt-kissing material.

Then I get this article published today where he wonders why I get more press than anything not a deity in these parts. Something about my record not being worthy of the attention. Quoting Young Estes: "What is questionable is whether his record indicates that he is worth all the hoopla and the moolah ($32 million over eight years)." Cary, Gary, whatever, this is not exactly kissing my ass.

Hey Gary, which is it? Ohh, I see, you get to play both ways with the numbers depending on what you're writing. Here's a number for ya: zero. That's the number of interviews you'll get this year. And given the economic impact I've already had on this town, I'm more than worth $4m a year. That's why I'm the King. Gary, don't forget to get your "Sabanation" t-shirt, it's the closest you'll get to this Crimson royalty. Roll Bama.

No comments: